Sri Lankan Adventure Tour
- Climb the ancient Sigiriya rock fortress
- Travel on elephant back in Habarana
- Morning Trek through Rural Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Train journey on a stunning railway through the tea plantations
- Trek through Horton Plains & World’s End
- Visit Kandy & The Temple of the Tooth
- Visit Nuwara Eliya
This is a great tour where you can see amazing scenery, sights & places plus enjoy some more nature based excursions. The number of excursions in this tour make this incredible value too. The hotels on this itinerary are also lovely and well located. Also, this railway journey could be one of the finest & most scenic journeys in the world!
Itinerary in Brief
- Habarana: 3 nights
- Kandy: 1 night
- Nuwara Eliya: 2 nights
- Colombo: 1 night
Fly Sri Lankan Airlines direct from Heathrow to Colombo.
On arrival, transfer north to Habarana at the hub of the Cultural Triangle; a delightful drive through paddy fields and rubber plantations. Arrive at the Chaaya Village, Habarana in a Standard room, your hotel for three nights, set in a 50 acre park bordering a lake. Set in beautiful gardens, its design is based on a traditional Sri Lankan village and is an ideal base from which to explore Sri Lanka’s heartland.(approx 120 miles, 3½ hours drive).
After breakfast, enjoy a morning tour to the Ritigala monastery ruins, its ancient stones are steeped in legend and superbly crafted by artisans. Gigantic trees form its backdrop, 300 feet high with tropical lianas climbing and twining around the trunks. In the afternoon, experience a wonderful elephant-back safari through the forests and villages of Habarana amid the plentiful wildlife. Each elephant carries a wooden platform for four people.
An early start to Hiriwaduna village for a varied trek, first to the reservoir, where the trunks of long dead trees stand stark against lush wetland greenery – Egret’s roosting grounds. After a picnic breakfast, cross by catamaran at Oruwa and follow a narrow trail through banana plantations to the home of a Chena farmer – for a cool drink of king coconut, and onward into a scrub forest, where a waiting bullock cart is your jungle transport. Return to the hotel for lunch. Visit the staggering Sigiriya Rock Fortress, to climb its 1,200 steps and see the well preserved fabulous frescoes. The views from the top makes the steep climb more than worthwhile!
After breakfast, leave for Kandy visiting the famed Pinnawela Elephant Orphanage en route to see the bathing and bottle feeding of baby elephants. Arrive in the hill capital Kandy for sightseeing of Kandy town and market including a visit to the much revered Temple of the Tooth relic. Overnight at Chaaya Citadel, located by the Mahaweli River, in a Standard room. (approx. 85 miles, 2½ hours drive).
Visit the colourful Royal Botanical Gardens at Peradeniya, then you have a thrilling opportunity to take an optional train ride, from the rail station at Gampola approx 45 minutes drive outside Kandy, to Nanu Oya station and thereafter continue to Nuwara Eliya by road, 6,000 feet above sea level, for two nights at St Andrews hotel in a Standard room (approx. 65 miles, 2½ hour’s drive).
Leave for the Horton Plains for a three hour scenic trek through Sri Lanka’s highest plateau (7,200 feet above sea level) to ‘World’s End’ and Bakers Falls. Spectacular views, a bracing climate, rare birds and butterflies are all at your fingertips.
Leave after breakfast stopping en route for an exhilarating level 3 1-2 hour white water rafting excursion on the Kelani River in Kitulgala (level three). Overnight at the Taj Samudra Colombo in a Superior room or extend your stay on the beaches.
Fly SriLankan Airlines arriving Heathrow later that day.
Add 4 nights or more in the Maldives. Fly to Malé and stay at your chosen resort in for four nights or more.
Sri Lanka Beach
Stay longer in Sri Lanka and stay at your chosen hotel for four nights or more.
Need to Know
- Meal Plan – Breakfast and dinner on tour from Day 2 to Day 7; breakfast in Colombo and your Sri Lanka beach extension. NB: If you take the optional train journey on Day 6 there will not be time for a full lunch. Breakfast, lunch and dinner at Kuramathi Maldives.
- Accommodation – Three and a half star and above, all with swimming pools with the exception of Nuwara Eliya.
- Tour Includes – All transport in quality airconditioned vehicle, special guides for treks, 1-2 hour White Water Rafting with qualified guide, 1 hour elephant back safari, sightseeing and entrance fees where specified (optional excursions at extra cost), hire of catamarans (oruwa) and bullock carts for Hiriwaduna excursion and bicycle ride in Habarana.
- Travel Tips – we recommend warm clothing is taken for your stay in Nuwara Eliya.
- Group Size – maximum group size is 20 passengers.
- Minimum Numbers – this tour is subject to minimum numbers.
- Passengers require a good level of fitness, this tour is only suitable for those with an active nature and no mobility problems. The white water rafting ride on Day 8 is quite challenging, but suitable for anyone between ages 8 and 65. Children under 8 years are not accepted.