Highlights of Sri Lanka Tour
Savour the highlights of the enigmatic island nation of Sri Lanka on this ideal six night introductory tour. Journey to Sri Lanka’s ancient capital Anuradhapura. Visit the historic Dambulla Caves and UNESCO World Heritage Site of Sigiriya, relax in the picturesque colonial town of Nuwara Eliya and enjoy a safari at Udawalawe National Park.
- Visit Mighty Sigiriya Rock or historic Dambulla Caves
- Explore Udawalawe National Park
- Marvel at the ancient city of Anuradhapura
This is a shorter tour of Sri Lanka taking in ancient sites, terrific sights and a wildlife park. If you are after a short tour package with greatness this is it. We would suggest a break after the tour on the beach in Sri Lanka or in the Maldives.
Itinerary in Brief
- Anuradhapura: 1 nights
- Sigiriya: 2 nights
- Nuwara Eliya: 1 night
- Udawalawe: 1 night
- Mount Lavinia: 1 night
Day 1 – Anuradhupara
On arrival, transfer to Anuradhapura and stay a night at the Palm Garden Village in a Standard Room (Three Star and Four Star (approx. 115 miles, 4 hours).
Day 2 – Anuradhupara to Sigiriya
After breakfast explore Sri Lanka’s ancient capital, Anuradhapura and visit the immense Buddha shrines before departing for Sigiriya or Dambulla in the afternoon where you will stay in the Kassapa Lion’s Rock, Dambulla (Three Star) or the Chaaya Village, Sigiriya (Four Star) for two nights (approx. 50 miles, 2 hours). B.
Day 3 – Sigiriya
Enjoy a morning at leisure and optional visits to the 2000 year old cave temple complex of Dambulla, Polonnaruwa the 12th Century Sinhalese capital and the spectacular rock fortress and UNESCO World Heritage Site of Sigiriya to marvel at the beautiful water gardens, frescoes and ancient graffiti.
The more adventurous can also climb the 1200 steps to the very top where the spectacular views more than make up for the effort required to get there. B.
Day 4 – Sigiriya to Nuwara Eliya
After breakfast, travel to Nuwara Eliya, a picturesque, colonial town set amongst the island’s central highlands and renowned as a centre for the production of Sri Lankan tea. En route, stop at the historic city of Kandy and enjoy a brief city tour, a visit to a tea plantation and non-working tea factory with the opportunity for a tasting session and a visit to the famed Temple of the Tooth, which houses Buddha’s tooth relic. Stay a night at the St Andrews hotel (Three Star) or the Grand Hotel (Four Star) (approx. 105 miles, 5 hours). B, L.
Day 5 – Nuwara Eliya to Udawalawe
This morning proceed to Udawalawe and enjoy a traditional Sri Lanka curry lunch at a local restaurant. In the afternoon enjoy a jeep safari at the Udawalawe National Park, which is famed for its herds of elephants. Spend a night at the Centuria hotel (Three Star) or the Ranna 212 (Four Star) (approx. 100 miles, 5 hours). B, L.
Day 6 – Udawalawe to Galle
After breakfast leave for Galle to visit the Dutch Fort and enjoy lunch at Lady Hill before transferring to Mount Lavinia (Three Star) or the Blue Water (Four Star). B, L.
Day 7 – Return back to the UK or continue your journey
After breakfast either transfer to the airport or continue to your chosen beach resort.
We can add more nights in after the tour at your beach hotel or perhaps you would like to head to the Maldives. If you have flown on Emirates we could add a stop in Dubai on the way home for a few nights.
Need to Know
- Accommodation on tour is in 3 Star or 4 Star hotels throughout.
- Tour Guide – Highlights of Sri Lanka is accompanied by a local tour guide. On the extension, assistance will be available from our local representatives.
- Transport Transport in air-conditioned vehicles throughout.
- Upgrade your Tour: Enjoy your own driver-guide from Day 2-7 at a supplement, please call for details.
- Meals: B=Breakfast, L=Lunch, D=Dinner. Meals only included where indicated.
- Travel Tips: Tipping is common practice in Sri Lanka. We recommend small amounts for porterage and slightly larger amounts for your driver and guide, if you are happy with the service. A sun hat is recommended during your climb of Sigiriya Rock and take lots of water!
- Essential Information: For departures on other days of the week, depending on flight schedules. An extra night at Mount Lavinia may be required at the beginning of your tour. If taking a beach stay before your tour please bear in mind that the first day of the tour is set as per the itinerary.