The Cheetah Safari covers a wide area showing the very best of Kenya including Samburu, the Rift Valley and the famous Maasai Mara. Mileages are quite long and road conditions can be poor on occasion, however you see more of the country and the wildlife is truly unforgettable.
- One night in Nairobi
- Game drives in the unique landscape of Samburu National Reserve
- Stay at the famous Treetrops where Queen Elizabeth ascended to the British throne
- Optional game drive in the Aberdare mountains
- Visit Thomson’s Falls and the wildlife surrounding Lake Nakuru and Lake Naivasha
- Two days game viewing in the incredible Maasai Mara, seeking out big cats
- Optional hot air balloon safari
- Optional upgrades to a 4X4 vehicle
While ‘Cheetah’ in name, it’s a lot more than just Cheetahs. This is a superb Safari and while somewhat intensive it comes highly recommended.
Itinerary in Brief
- Nairobi: 1 night
- Samburu: 1 night
- Aberdere: 1 night
- Lake Naivasha: 1 night
- Maasai Mara: 2 nights
Depart Heathrow by Kenya Airways overnight flight arriving in Nairobi the next morning.
Spend one night at the Southern Sun Mayfair Nairobi (formerly The Holiday Inn) in a Standard room.
Drive in your safari minibus to Samburu with lunch en route. After arriving spend the afternoon game viewing. Arrive at Samburu Lodge on the banks of the river for the next two nights (approx. 195 miles).
Morning and afternoon game drives in the National Park.
Drive south to the Aberdare Mountain Ranges. Have lunch at the beautiful Outspan Lodge, then drive on to the famous Treetops, your spectacular viewing perch for the night and the place where Princess Elizabeth was staying when she ascended to the British throne in 1952. Game is attracted by the waterholes and salt licks around the lodge (approx. 115 miles). Game drive optional (extra cost).
Early morning tea at Treetops and breakfast at Outspan, then drive via Thomson’s Falls to Lake Nakuru National Park for a game drive and lunch. Continue to Lake Naivasha and overnight stay at Lake Naivasha Sopa Lodge (approx. 150 miles).
After breakfast, drive to the incredible Maasai Mara, home to the residents of the BBC’s enthralling ‘Big Cat Diary’. Game drive in this spectacular reserve en route, then overnight at Keekorok Lodge (approx. 153 miles).
This may be the last day of your safari, but it could be the most thrilling, for the vast Mara plains provide some of the best game-viewing in Africa. Morning and afternoon game drives into the heart of the reserve – a fitting climax to an exciting safari. Or take the optional balloon safari. Overnight at Keekorok Lodge.
Depart after breakfast, arriving in Nairobi in time for lunch (not included) (approx. 185 miles). You will be taken to a central hotel for the afternoon where you may wish to prebook a day room before your Kenya Airways overnight flight to Heathrow.
After your Big 5 Safari add on a relaxing beach stay on one of Kenya’s coastal resorts.
You can also head off to Zanzibar for something a little bit more exotic.
Kenya Airways also flies to the Seychelles a few times per week. We can certainly try to fit this in for you.
Need to Know
- Guide – Escorted by an English speaking driver/guide from departure from Nairobi to return to Nairobi. Extensions are not escorted but assistance is provided by our local representatives.
- Meal Plan – Prices include breakfast in Nairobi; breakfast, lunch and dinner on Safari; breakfast and dinner in Mombasa or Zanzibar.
- Accommodation – Cheetah Safari uses 3 and 3½ star lodges, Cheetah Serena Safari uses 4 star lodges. On occasion it may be necessary to use alternative accommodation due to local availability and road conditions.
- Travel Tips – Pack a mixture of warm and light clothing in soft bags weighing maximum 15kgs, plus sunglasses, camera and insect repellent.
- Travel Times – Vary dependent on road conditions and game sightings.
- NB – Minimum age 7 years. Triple rooms on Cheetah Safari are on a request basis due to limited space at Treetops.
- If flying back to Nairobi an extra lunch and airstrip transfer cost are incurred.